Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Babies and Showers

Hi again! Twice in a month and within 2 days of each other! I'm making up for lost time.

Well, I can upload some photos for you and would like to share some sugar with you. I mean it. First take a look at this cake.



This is a baby shower cake I did recently but take a look at the bassinet. Here is another view.


See the texture? It's ALL Sugar! This is the first time I've ever done a dry sugar mold. Here's what you do:


Take 1 cup of sugar (granulated)

1/4 teaspoon of water

Mix with your hands thoroughly. Avoid the temptation to add more water. It will feel dry. I should know...I made that mistake and it fell apart. Now I didn't have a mold for the bassinet. I just used a small bowl about the size I needed that was smooth inside and nice and round. Pack the sugar into the bowl all the way to the top. Now you do need to judge just how many cups of sugar you will need for the bowl you are using. After you pack that bowl (like you would with brown sugar), smooth the top with wax paper. Take a carboard piece or cake board, put over the top and invert. Wax paper and all. Let it dry overnight or for at least 8 hours. It will be solid and hard. Then just carve it out with a spoon. All the sugar you carve out is reuseable. Put it right back in your sugar bowl for coffee or tea. It's that easy! One caution...when you decorate it, don't use anything that is too wet or you will cause it to crumble. Have Fun! And please send me pictures! I'd love to see what you come up with!


Here's one more picture of a closeup of the baby. I'll tell you about that next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment regarding this post, send recipes, suggest a web page or ask a question. I will try to answer questions that come in as best as I can. Thanks for leaving a comment.